Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fitness Shift!


I will be adding the measurements to this post going forward, rather than creating new posts every other week. I really don't like the blog being so much about thiss personal issue. So if anyone cares - there will be an edit every two weeks...

(sorry to be a day late on this update...I still cannot get onto the 'fat ratio' site - it keeps freezing...so instead of waiting, I'll at least give you the improved numbers.)

3/1/09
Weight: 241
(lost 4 pounds)
Waist: 43 inches
(lost 1 inch)
Hips: 45 inches
(same)
Forearm: 12 inches
(same)
Wrist: 7 inches
(same)


2/15/09

Weight: 245
(lost 2 pounds)
Waist: 44 inches
(lost 1 inches)
Hips: 45 inches
(lost 1 inch)
Forearm: 12 inches
(same)
Wrist: 7 inches
(same)
Body Fat: 27.1%
(lost 1.5%)
Amount of Fat: 66.4lb
(lost 4.2 pounds of fat)
Amount of Lean Mass: 178.6lb
(gained 2.2 pounds of muscle)

2/1/09
Weight: 247
(gained 3 pounds)
Waist: 45 inches
(lost 2 inches)
Hips: 46 inches
(lost 1 inch)
Forearm: 12 inches
(same)
Wrist: 7 inches
(same)
Body Fat: 28.6%
(lost 2%)
Amount of Fat: 70.6lb
(lost 4.1 pounds of fat)
Amount of Lean Mass: 176.4lb
(gained 7.1 pounds of muscle)

1/18/09
Weight: 244
Waist: 47 inches
Hips: 46 inches
Forearm: 12 inches
Wrist: 7 inches
Body Fat: 30.6%
Amount of Fat: 74.7lb
Amount of Lean Mass: 169.3lb

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm going to launch a shift in how I handle my fitness goals. Merely weighing in is proving to be maddening. This week I gained a pound and am at 244. Overall weight loss over 11 weeks is only 8 pounds - and I'm spending nearly 8 hours a week at the gym and eating a fairly "normal" diet.

Inspired by what I already knew and by the reminders of friends and other bloggers like Mr. Mead - I needed to deal with reality a bit more...

Today, I found a very good home calculator for body fat ratio. It is accurate within about 3% and is very easy to do. And I think this will become the best method for assessing where I'm going. It is based on age, gender, and weight along with the waist, hips, forearm, and wrist measurements.

Going forward, I will list all of this every two weeks. There can be enough change in two weeks to actually measure - but once a week is a bit excessive for this type of calculation. I will still weigh myself periodically - but for the blog, this will be my new method.

One thing that was very interesting about this is how we are becoming quite fooled by the clothing industry. In the past a "32" meant the waist of the pant measured 32 inches. Not anymore. For fun, I measured various jeans at Fred Meyer and found that most pants added anywhere from 4 to 10 inches. In other words - waist size and "off the rack" size are not at all the same anymore. This explains why in May of 1992, I was wearing "36" jeans and weighed 190 pounds. Today I wear between a "36" and "38" and weigh 244 pounds. But the real numbers are quite revealing. And I need to deal in real numbers. Painful as they may be!

1/18/09
Weight: 244
Waist: 47 inches
Hips: 46 inches
Forearm: 12 inches
Wrist: 7 inches
Body Fat: 30.6%
Amount of Fat: 74.7lb
Amount of Lean Mass: 169.3lb

This is extremely helpful in calculating my ideal weight. To become very healthy, but not "athletic", I need to get this body fat percentage down to 12%. If I were to maintain my Lean Mass at about 170lb, then to have 12% body fat, I'd need to weigh 195lb. Given I am going to continue weight lifting, my Lean Mass will likely go up a bit, so I think to be reasonable, I need to shoot for about 200lb.

I have 41 weeks until I hit the year mark of my fitness launch. So basically, I'd like to lose a pound a week.

We'll see what happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Curious: Do you take any whey protein after weight training, even in small amounts? I know you don't want to gain mass, but I find after weights that the whey greatly curbs my appetite afterwards, and is also good for the muscles. Thought I'd ask. (And unrelated, check out Brideshead Revisited! The adaptation rivals the 10+ hour Olivier and Jeremy Irons version.)